Friday, August 8, 2008

Latest Upgrade to the Strada


I finally acquired several key upgrade parts to my Bacchetta Strada. The wheels I switched out to a 650c size, the seat I replaced with the Bacchetta Euromesh, added a Bacchetta Brain Box seat bag and replaced the 11-23 cassette cog to a 11-34 cassette.

The 650c wheels allowed me to ride with thinner road tires. The Velocity Spartacus wheels I won off of eBay. They came with cogs, tubes and tires. The tires alone equaled the amount I paid for the wheels. So for the price of two racing tires I got two racing wheels that would normally cost around $300.

The seat and seat bag I purchased off the bike's manufacturer's website. The seat is not as light as a high end carbon seat, but it's lighter and narrower than the normal standard Recurve seat. The new seat finally allowed me to place two feet on the ground while seated. The wide seat pad of the original Recurve seat didn't allow me to do that. Also, it was lower and allowed me to move the seat backwards. The original seat's lower padding was at least two inches high which increased the seat height.

The seat bag mounts to the top back of the seat. The bag stores up to 600 cubic inches, which is allot of space. It stores all the necessary items, such as tubes, tire repair kit, tools, pump, power bars, cycling glasses, bottled water, wallet, cell phone, etc.

But the most important upgrade was the changing of the original cogs to a 11-34 teeth. This is the same cog number that is on my Baron lowracer, which works well for me. I immediately noticed a two mph speed increase.

No comments: