Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Meeting Bob and Jeff

This is a photo of Bob and Jeff (coming towards me) that I happen to take on one of our weekend rides. I would meet them again on an evening ride going south at the very same spot on the trail.
(click on the image to enlarge)

Last night I went on a night ride at my local bike trail. At the halfway point, turning back to my truck, I saw a couple of fellow recumbent riders going my way. I struck up a conversation with them. Their names were Bob and Jeff. They were a couple of retirees, who ride on the trail a couple of days a week.

Jeff was riding a RANS Stratus XP and Bob was riding a Taiwan made bike with "lightning" decals on the side. The "lightning" bike was a short wheelbase compared to Bob's Stratus XP which was a long wheelbase bike.

They were coming back to their vehicles at the very southern end of the trail, a 70 mile ride. The sun was setting and they were worried of being caught in the dark and Jeff only had one light on his bike. I volunteered to ride with them back to their cars, since I was parked nearby, and use my lights to illuminate the trail ahead of them. This worked out better for me since I get to test out my new lighting system and have company in the dark.

We exchanged cycling stories, especially about being caught on the trail at night without any lights. We also talked about how eerie it is riding at night, but it also makes it more exciting. One of the dangers on the trail is mainly by deer that would suddenly jump in front. As I said before on the blog, if you're by yourself at night it's down right terrifying. But, if you're with another rider it becomes an adventure.

Fifteen minutes after sunset we start to hear allot of rustling along the side of the trail. Jeff commented that this is the hour the forest nocturnal creatures come out. We saw allot of rabbits running across the trail and a herd of deer running off the trail towards the river.

A little bit of history told to me by Jeff, is that the Little Miami Railroad was started during the year David Crockett fought in the Alamo (1836). The railroad was also the same one that President Lincoln's death train traveled upon.

Even though the ride back was not on the fast side, it was a pleasure riding back with these fine gentlemen. I like riding on my local bike trail, because I'll never know who I'm going to meet.

No comments: