Friday, February 27, 2009

Another warm day not wasted

February 25th was another Indian summer (61 degrees) and the second ride of the 2009 season for me. This time I had 45 minutes of sun light left before dusk. I used that extra time to ride a bit further on the trail before it started to get dark.

There were allot of cars in the Bass Island parking lot in Newtown. A good clue that there were allot of people taking advantage of the warm weather on the trail. On the way up to Milford I passed a fellow recumbent rider going the opposite way. We both recognized each other and exchanged salutes.


At Milford I saw a roadie just coming on the trail heading north. I decided to tag behind him. From 15 mph I slowly accelerated to 18 mph. For about half a mile we road together until I couldn't keep the pace at 23 mph. Maybe next time when I'm on my Baron lowracer I'd be able to give him a run for his money. The roadie turned off the trail and took the road towards the hills of Indian Hill.

At Miamiville I rode past a couple walking their dogs (pit bulls). Two were on their leash, but one was let loose. Luckily the dog was doing a number two when we both locked eyes on each other. Then I heard the sound that I and any cyclist dreaded, the sound of an owner yelling at her dog to come back. Well I didn't wait to see how far little razor blades with legs was behind me. Two quick clicks on the shifter and an accelerated heart rate soon got me back up to 23 mph again.

I turned around just before the I-275 Bridge and met Terrence on his way back from Xenia Ohio. He called in sick from work so that he could take advantage of the warm weather. Starting his trip at around 11 AM and spending several hours to recover at his halfway point, Terrance got back to his car at Milford around 7 PM. I said goodbye to Terrence at Milford and rode on.

Taking advantage of the sloping downward grade past Milford I pressed to get my speed to around 20 mph. By this time it was pitch black and my LED flashlight was nicely illuminating the whole trail. I soon came across Michelle who also parked her car at the Bass Island parking lot. We talked about the great weather and taking every opportunity to ride. Her bike light died on her while we were only a mile away from our cars, but mine was still going strong.

Every ride is an adventure and every cyclist that I'm lucky to meet is a blessing.

No comments: