Sunday, April 19, 2009

First 54 mile ride of the season.

1.6 miles South of Morrow, is Morrow-Cozaddale Road

Saturday mornings are normally my individual long rides. The ride begins in Newtown Ohio (before sunrise) and the turn-around point is Morrow Ohio, a 54 mile ride. This was my first long ride of the season, so finishing under 3 hours was not likely.


I rode my red Bacchetta Strada recumbent. The bike weights around 30 lbs with all the necessary equipment and other items.

I wanted to leave Newtown around 6 AM, but really didn't hit the trail until 6:45 AM. It was a cold 39 degrees at the start, but with long cycling tights and three layers of clothing it wasn't much of an issue.

15 mph was my speed until I arrived at Loveland. I was fortunate to draft behind a rodie that was heading north at 18 mph. From Loveland to Morrow we sustained this speed, my only worry was if I was fit enough to keep up.

Riding by yourself it's sometimes hard to get motivated to riding at a high speed. When you're drafting behind someone that somehow gives you the mental push to keep up.

Looking south from Morrow

On the way back from Morrow I waited on the trail for a few minutes, like a guy waiting for the bus, for a roadie heading south. Even though I didn't luck out in drafting behind a roadie, the ride was a bit bearable since the trail slopes down.

Trail at Cozaddale Road looking south. Even though it was a very chilly morning, a beautiful sunny day in the upper 70's was in the works. I was able to remove one layer of clothing on the way back.

Intersection at Fosters Road. The photo above is a bar-restaurant called "The Train Stop". Sadly, there use to be a caged chimp outside in the summer time, drinking beer and smoking a cigarette.

It wasn't until I hit Milford that a fast roadie passed by. We kept a pace of around 21 mph. That little fast spurt helped reduced the time getting back to my truck. If I latched on to this roadie earlier in the ride, I don't believe I would have the energy keeping up. First of the season long ride it was a good start.

No comments: