Saturday, March 21, 2009

It's not the bike, it's the engine




Today I took out my RANS Zenetik crank forward bike. The factory handlebar was replaced with a Nitto Albatross handlebar, twist shifters replaced with bar end shifters and pedals with Crank Brothers clipless pedals.

The Zenetik was my latest acquisition for hauling my kids around in their TREK Go Bug trailer. I figured that it would be much better and safer than hauling them on one of my recumbent bikes. The Zenetik sports 700c wheels which are designed for less drag on road surfaces, meaning a faster ride. But it also depends on the engine; I could be riding a $5000 road bike and still not keep an average speed of 18 mph, at my current fitness state. Plus, the design of the Zenetik sits me in a more upright comfortable riding position.

When hauling my kids around I’m not looking into breaking speed records. It’s all about enjoying the ride.

The issue I had was adjusting to the different seat position. On my recumbents my weight is mainly distributed on my back, but on the crank forward seat it’s on my butt. Constantly changing my seating position allows the blood to flow and relieves the aches.

My Zenetik rides smooth and feels like it’s on rails. Accelerating quickly on the bike was no problem at all. The bike itself weights around 20-24 lbs.

No comments: