Monday, March 23, 2009

Trailers and Kids

Jon's new HASE Trets child trailer.

This past Sunday marked the first Sunday bike ride with kids this season. So the friends and family cycling weekends have officially begone.

This was my daughter Maya's first ride on the trail. I waited until she was a bit older before taking her out on the trailer. She did quite well, sleeping half way until we neared Loveland Ohio. 

Shawn and Maya enjoying the swings.

The kids always liked the part of playing at the local park playground once we reached Loveland. This gets them nice and hungry for lunch.

The season would be different for me, since my buddy Jon will not be hauling his daughter Violet and my son Shawn on his old trailer. He recently bought a very high end single seat child trailer for his daughter. It's more like a trike but without the front wheel. So now, I''ll be hauling my own kids up the trail.

On the way back, Violet was fast asleep. I'm surprised that she was able to keep her foot on the pedals.


Hauling two kids and a trailer is a chore. The weight combined is around 90 lbs. My speed varied from 10 mph to 13 mph on the flats. On a slight grade going down I can probably get it to around 14-15 mph.

Here I am with my son Shawn inside the Trek GoBug trailer.

On the way back Maya rode home in my wife's car, while Shawn enjoyed the ride.

At the end my lungs were the ones tired instead of my legs. I have to find a way to hook up a child carrier to my wife's Trike, in order for her to share in the load.

No comments: