Thursday, June 26, 2008

Chasing some cyclists on the trail

Last Wednesday night Jon and I did a normal night time ride. About a mile from Loveland four cyclist passed us by. They seemed to be a local team, because they all had identical blue and white cycling uniforms. Jon mentioned that once they pass by he's going to hook unto them until Loveland. I decided to draft behind once they passed also.

They were doing about 25 mph once we drafted behind them. I noticed that they looked back and were surprise that a guy on a recumbent and a guy with a CamelBak shoulder bag were keeping up with them. The leader soon said something to the rest of the group and started to pedal way faster. 

Well, Jon and I weren't going to have these roadies smoke us by, so we clicked in some higher gears to keep pace. I glanced down on my computer to see how fast we were going and to my surprise we reached 30 mph and still going faster. My maximum speed was 32.7 mph and I believe I could have gone faster. I was just one click away from my highest gear.

About a quarter of a mile the last cyclist in the group started to fade away, while his buddies kept accelerating. We passed him up and kept pace with the group. After half a mile my heart was going anaerobic. Forcing my lungs to take in air, I slowed down to 19 mph.  The rest of the group saw that their fourth group member was nowhere in sight and soon slowed down to 15 mph. I believe the remaining three had enough energy in them to pedal up to Loveland at around 30 mph. I passed the group and met Jon at Loveland half a minute later.



We sat outside a local bar and ordered something to eat before we headed back to our vehicles. Sitting outside we noticed that the guys we passed were all waiting for their fourth member. About five minutes later he finally showed up. I guess that last sprint was a bit too much for him. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he might have ridden longer miles and hills before his group met up with us.
On our way back, I tested out my Blackburn X6 lights. Jon was impressed by the lumination they gave off. They sure did give off enough light to light up the trail for both of us. The system contained one spot, one flood and a battery pack that mounted on my frame via velcro.




No comments: