Monday, June 23, 2008

Wet bike contest


Sunday, (June 22, 2008) Jon, Shawn and I went on another of our weekend bike rides. This day was forecasted to be scattered thunderstorms, but down where I lived it was all partly sunny skies. In the distance I could see dark clouds and rain. We decided that it was worth the chance to ride, since it was west of the area that we were riding.

The Optima Baron was the weapon I chose for the ride, since my Strada was in the shop getting some new parts added to it. Hopefully the clipless pedals and shortened handlebar stem would improve the performance of the bike.

I had forgotten how fast my Baron was. Of course my Strada didn't have clipless pedals yet for me to decide if that what was needed to make it preform faster. The Baron didn't need allot of energy to get it up to 18 to 20 mph. I felt that the energy it took me to get my Strada up around 15 to 17 mph was the same that it took me to get my Baron to around 19 mph.

Riding up north we didn't encounter rain until halfway, but it was only a sprinkle. Arriving at Loveland it looked as if it has gotten a good shower. We ate at one of the local bars outside on the patio, street side.

This is where we assessed how much mud and dirt our bikes and ourselves received. Jon's shoes and legs where soaked, as well as the back of my pants. Shawn faired a little bit better, since there was a screen on the trailer protecting him from the majority of the debris. My shoes were dry since my toes pointed upwards, due to the configurations of my recumbent bike and the moisture that did hit it only impacted the soles.

Once we left Loveland it started to rain heavily. It poured down like cats and dogs, that we had to take shelter under some trees for two minutes until we could ride again. Off in the distance (around Loveland) we could hear thunder. Halfway back down, the trail was bone dry. The back of my pants had air dried off, but I think Jon's shoes were still soaked.

Next weekend my Strada should be ready for a test ride. I'll see if the new upgrades will make a difference in added performance.









No comments: