Monday, June 9, 2008

Early Sunday Morning Ride

Last Sunday I woke up early to get in some riding time. The weather was forecasted to be humid and in the high 90's. Starting in the morning would make the ride a bit more bearable, before the day started to cook.

I tried to ride before sunrise last Saturday, but it started to rain so I waited for Sunday. My idea was to ride early in the morning, half an hour before sunrise. By the time I would finish my ride and arrive back home, the family would be in the process of waking up. This would give me more time later in the day to do some home maintenance.

Halfway on the ride my front tire started to loose pressure. Stopping to check the tire the humidity really started to hit. Underneath the covered canopy of the trail, I was sweating bullets. The wicking tee shirt I wore helped bit.

I repaired the small puncture on my tube and turned around for the last leg of my ride. Three miles from my truck my front wheel started to loose pressure again. There was another small puncture near the first one. I carefully checked the inside of my tire and found a small thorn or animal's tooth embedded. This was the cause of all my problems. The rest of the way back was uneventful.

While repairing my second flat a couple stopped by and asked about my recumbent. The husband was interested in getting one due to some spine injury and riding a regular diamond frame bike was out of the question. I directed him to some websites to look up and they thanked me as they went on with their walk.

Ever since I switched to riding recumbents allot of people would just come up to me and start a conversation on my bike. I would always hear, "wow, nice bike, where did you get it, etc", from people on the trail.

No comments: